Q. How can I access the library as a member of the University of London (UoL)?


Students and staff from other University of London institutions may be eligible to use some of our services.  Please note:

  • Access to a limited selection of e-resources is available via a small number of public access (VERA) PCs.
  • Reference access is available to all our print resources. 
  • Visitors to King’s libraries can use many of the same printing and photocopying services available to staff and students. Full details of this service and instructions on how to register for your own guest print account can be found here. These facilities are available in accordance with the provisions of the Copyright, Design and Patents Act, 1988
  • Wi-Fi is available through The Cloud. See here for registration details.
  • The eduroam wireless network service may also be available if you belong to a participating institution. Eduroam login details can be used to access this network at King's Library sites.

Undergraduates and taught postgraduates

Undergraduate and taught postgraduate students from University of London institutions may be eligible to use some of our services under the University of London Access agreement.

 Access is subject to the following conditions:

  • to consult specific items of printed material held in King's College London libraries which are not held in your home institution library - access for study space is not possible
  • you will need to show your UoL home institution ID and may need to sign in at some sites 
  • admittance with your home UoL institution ID card is during staffed hours only, there is no admittance or re-admittance after 20:30 on weekdays and 18:00 at weekends, or before 8:30 weekdays or 10:00 at weekends. You may be asked to leave out of staffed hours.

If you need to have regular access to our collection, or you can demonstrate a need to access our collection during Library unstaffed hours you can apply for a Library Membership Card. Library opening hours can be found here.

You will need to complete a membership application form and outline your need for additional access to King’s Libraries. The application form can be found here

Intercollegiate students

If part of your course is taught at King's, you can use your King's ID card to access our libraries and borrow material.

Research postgraduates and staff

Research postgraduates and staff may have limited borrowing offered under Band A to institutions taking part in the SCONUL Access scheme . Individuals will be entitled to borrow up to 5 four week loan books. 

In order to join King's Libraries simply forward your SCONUL membership email to librarymembership@kcl.ac.uk and provide us with the following:

  • a digital photo for your ID card
  • your home address
  • your institutional email address
  • your home institution departmental address
  • the name of the King's library you'd like to collect your card from. Card collection is available from our libraries at New Hunt's House, the Weston Education Centre, the Franklin-Wilkins Building and the Maughan Library. You will find the locations of our libraries here

Alternatively, one-off reference access is available by presenting your current home institution ID card at the service desk or the entrance to the library you wish to access.

  • Last Updated Apr 29, 2020
  • Views 50
  • Answered By Pete Garner

FAQ Actions

Was this helpful? 0   0