Q. How can I visit the library as an independent researcher?


In the first semester between 1 September – 23 December 2021, our libraries will remain closed to external visitors (except for Special Collections and Archives from the 20 September), access will be prioritised for current King’s students, staff, NHS members of the library, Alumni and eligible Independent Researchers.

Independent researchers

If you are not a member of our associated organisations but can demonstrate a need to use our libraries to access materials not easily available elsewhere you can now apply to visit our libraries. 

Please complete our Library Visit form to apply for a temporary e-pass for accessing King's College London libraries as an Independent Researcher (note: this will only allow you access to the library, not King’s Buildings). Before submitting your application, please check if the material you would like to access is available in the British Library catalogue. You will be asked to specify the books and/or journals you wish to access.

We do not allow visiting requests only for use of study space.

If your application is successful, during your visit please make sure you have a valid form of photo ID with you. Security can still deny access to Library Visit Pass holders if sufficient identification is not available.

Please fill out the application form and plan your visit in advance. You should receive a reply and your e-pass (if your application is successful) within 3 working days.

There is currently no option to pay for a borrowing subscription as an Independent Researcher. As soon as new registrations for external library users resume, this page will be updated with more information on how to apply for a borrowing subscription.


  • Last Updated Sep 28, 2021
  • Views 387
  • Answered By Pete Garner

FAQ Actions

Was this helpful? 1 0