Q. Can I request books and articles from other libraries?


Interlending and Document Delivery

For King's College London Staff and Students as well as NHS Staff 

Coronavirus update:

We are now running a reduced Interlending and Document Delivery service to obtain eJournal articles and single eBook chapters held by other libraries in the UK and abroad. Unfortunately, the provision of physical loans cannot be facilitated at this time.

Who can use the service?

All King’s College London staff and students, as well as staff from King's Health Partners are eligible to make requests for books and articles that aren’t available in the King’s collections.

What can I request?

The Interlending and Document Delivery Service exists to support the personal academic study and research needs of the College community if these needs cannot be fulfilled by other means. Requests can be made for books, journal articles, theses, dissertations and other publications. Material that is required for non-academic purposes should be requested through the public library system.

If you are a member of staff and would like to recommend a new journal or database subscription then please contact the Subscriptions & Access team

If you require a resource subscription for material that is on a Reading List, please contact your Collections Liaison Librarian who will provide advice.

How much does an inter-library loan cost?

Students and staff are allocated a number of free requests at the beginning of each academic year*. Should you reach your allocated number of free requests, you will be unable to submit more requests until you agree to the charges. Currently the cost of an article is £3.50 and a loan is £6.50. So that you are not charged unnecessarily for requests, we ask you to check that what you require isn’t available through an alternative source and that an inter-library loan is the last resort. 

Staff and students registered with the King's Disability Service are allocated an unlimited number of free requests each academic year. 

*Annual allocation of free inter-library loan requests

  Student/Staff Category 




 Postgraduate (Taught)


 Postgraduate (Research)


 Staff (including NHS)


 Registered with the Disability Service


How can I check if King’s holds the book or article I need?

Before making a request, please check Library Search to make sure that the item you require is not already available at King's. If the item you require is a book then you can also check Proquest Ebook Central to see if the book is available in electronic format, which will provide you with immediate access. 

What other sources of information are available?

King’s College London staff and students are eligible to visit a range of other libraries in London and we encourage you to make use of this wealth of information by taking the time to visit libraries in person where this is feasible. 

Senate House Library is one of the largest humanities and social science libraries in the UK and membership, including borrowing, is free for King’s staff and students. NHS staff are ineligible for Senate House Library membership and will have to submit an interlibrary-loan request for items held by the library. Students who are registered with the Disability Service are permitted to request material from Senate House as interlibrary loans.  For all other staff and students, requests for items held by Senate House will not be considered by the Interlending & Document Delivery Team.

What if I am undertaking a systematic review?

King’s staff and students (as well as staff from King’s Health Partners) who are planning to undertake a systematic review should first contact interloans@kcl.ac.uk to discuss their specific needs. This helps to ensure that the Interlending and Document Delivery Team can allocate the necessary staffing based on the anticipated number of requests. An approximate time frame for obtaining the material can also be agreed to ensure that the service to other customers is not adversely affected. Depending on the number of requests, we may also need to discuss the possibility of funding from your department. You should consider including costs for inter-library loans in your funding applications for systematic reviews.

Where can I get further support and advice?

Libraries & Collections staff are always on hand at the site libraries to offer advice and support you in your study and research aims. You can also contact us by phone or email.

If you are a King's staff or student you can find more information on this page.


  • Last Updated May 13, 2020
  • Views 1332
  • Answered By Pete Garner

FAQ Actions

Was this helpful? 1   1